Highway Missionary Baptist Church was organized on June 22, 1930
in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson. The sponsoring church was Odell
Missionary Baptist Church. Plans began immediately to select a church site and build a
building. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs J.R. Nelson and son, Jack, Rev. and Mrs J.H.
White and daughter, Dessie, and Rev. and Mrs C.A. Skipper. Bro. White was
called as the pastor at the organizational service. J.R. Westberry and J.C. Burris
were the first deacons.
Free-will offerings were received to buy materials for a building
on the site located in South Huntington. Bro. White mortgaged his team of mules
and wagon to secure a down payment.
Highway Missionary Baptist Church was privileged to host the first
meeting of their local Association meeting when Timberland Association was organized on
October 25, 1956. They sponsored the Lufkin Baptist Mission and missionary.
They began in 1986 sponsoring a mission and missionary in the Southern Philippines.
Through the years, they have sponsored many ministries and missionaries in several
countries and currently sponsor the Emanual House in Romania, the Romanian work, Joel
Cobbs, Africa, World Wide Literature Fund and a local
Perhaps the most devastating time in our history was Dec 29,
1990, when our worship center burned to the ground. When people talk about events
of the church, it is either before or after "The Fire".
The future goals include winning more souls to Christ and Church